This has been writen to explain the steps to set a basic insecure SMTP lab. We are using hMailServer to act as a mail server & Thunderbird as mail client.
1. Start the wizzard
2. Next, Accept the license
3. Select the install folder, next
4. Full installation, next
5. Use built in database, next
6. Create a shortcut, next
7. Choose the password for accessing hMailServer
8. Complete the installation
9. This may pop up, click yes, to install some dependencies
10. The installation begins
1. Connect as Administrator
2. Enter the password we just created
3. You will enter to the main view
4. First thing start up process
5. We need to create a domain
In that we have different tabs
For this lab I will only modify general tab
6. After saving the changes, we see the domain added
7. Now, it’s time to add user accounts
8. Add a user (leave the rest as default), then save
9. In accounts we see our first user created
We will add a second user named john
At this point we are done with the mail server set up. Now it is time to run an email client to be able to send/receive emails
For this exercise we will use Thunderbird and a Linux machine to connect.
1. Install Thunderbird
2. Run the application
The application will now show up.
3. Add the SMTP server
4. Select the default account or add a new one
Edit the settings
4. Add the domain name and server address to DNS records, we will use /etc/hosts
5. Test connectivity
5. Now it is time to set up our accounts, when ThunderBird is first opened it requests to add an account.
Fill the blank spaces
We have already created the accounts in the previous steps, in hMailServer
6. Now, click on “Manual config”, correct the server name. and, adjust the settings to match the server’s. I use POP3, I manually changed that
7. Test connectivity
Doin gthis auto adjusts the settings, now it’s time to click on “Done”
8. Accept the risk, since, we are not using encryption.
9. The account know shows up in the main page.
Now, we do the same for the other account. John
10. Send an email as a test